I am now *open* for review requests. Check out my Review Policy Page for more info

Friday, November 7, 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014

I've been avoiding doing a post about NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) out of the fear that this year will end in my shame like every other year. See every year I swear I am going to win, then within the first week I quit. So I thought I would spare myself the shame. But low and behold here I am talking about it.

So what changed?

This year I actually feel genuine confidence in myself and more understand about myself. I'm not the fastest writer, generally I am happy to be able to squeeze a couple hundred words out when I try really hard at writing. This probably wasn't helped by my lack of taking time to write. I would go weeks, if not months, between sitting down and writing. Recently though, I've stumbled across a group of people on Tumblr that gather in a chat and run Word Wars (the practice of writing as much as you can in a set amount of time). Most of the writers in the group are fanfiction writers, and when I started writing with them, that was what I was working on. But now with NaNo in the air, some of us are working on original works.

We all challenge and encourage each other to do better and in the few weeks I've been with them I've increased my writing speed to levels of me being able to handle the 1600 word a day demand NaNo requires. And even better I feel myself typing more and more and getting faster.


I can feel myself becoming a better writer and I feel a real confidence that this year I will make my personal goal (15,000) if not win NaNo.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with reaching your goal and well done for jumping in. Hope you're enjoying it. :-)

    ReplyDelete