I am now *open* for review requests. Check out my Review Policy Page for more info

Friday, February 14, 2014

Where's My Rhett Butler?

So many romance novels, for young adults, new adults, and just plain adults, have the "bad boy" as the romantic interest. I, like countless other women, are in love with fictional bad boys and enjoy devouring every novel with this trope.

But I remember my first literary bad boy crush. And it still has me wondering to this day, where is my Rhett Butler?

Now Gone With the Wind isn't exactly what you would call a romance novel, but it is definitely a novel with romance in it. And even better it is a novel with a love triangle between a girl, the "nice guy," and the "bad boy." This novel made me grow up wishing I could be Scarlett O'Hara just so I could get at Rhett.

Seriously who could resist a man who delivers lines like "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn," and "You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how." The answer: No one.

Not only is he a total badass, who will lie, cheat, kill, and manipulate to get his way but he is also devoted to his daughter (and in the book to Scarlett's other children), spoils those he loves, and fiercely protective. And I'm not sure if this goes in the good man or bad boy category, but I love that his best friend is a Madame of a brothel.

So this Valentine's Day, I will be at sitting at home still waiting for Mr. Rhett Butler to come and sweep me off my feet.

Tell me in the comment section who your literary crush is.


2 comments:

  1. I love Rhett Butler and yes, he's all the good things that the charm of a 'bad boy' brings but also has a heart of gold.
    My literary crush is Mr. Knightley from EMMA by Jane Austen. I think it's his patience and confidence that although Emma can be foolish and immature, he's confident that her heart is in the right place and that he will win her love.
    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mr. Knightley so much. You should watch the YouTube show Emma Approved. It is a great modernized adaptation of Emma and the guy who plays Mr. Knightley is dishey.

      Delete