I am now *open* for review requests. Check out my Review Policy Page for more info

Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Agent

Many people feel having an agent is an important step in getting a publishing deal. Sure there are plenty of successful authors without agents, but in order to submit to many publishers, you have to do it through an agent.

Personally I want to have an agent there to help figure out which publishers to send to and negotiate a better contract for me. It could be a little difficult for me to find someone, because I would prefer to use only one agent for everything. I'm not sure how many agents would be willing to represent both romance and YA/NA. Those are very different categories. But I will search high and low when the time comes.

From what I understand many people who originally worked in editing migrate over to agenting and vice versa. I have considered doing this later in my career. The role of an agent seems to be an interesting one, but I am sure not everyone is suited to become one.


4 comments:

  1. I'm still convinced agents are critical to a traditional publishing career. I have been agent hunting for four years and had some near misses but still no offers. I will keep trying though, even as I do some publishing with small presses that don't require agents. As with everything else in writing these days, it seems like trying a bit of each "way" is a good idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with an agent being essential for a tradition career. There are so many small presses now that don't require an agent, so it makes it easier for those who don't have agents to get published.

      Delete
  2. I have mixed emotions about agents. I've had four since 1979. The two books I've sold, I did on my own. I would love to have an agent I could trust and rely on; one who loved my stories and had MY best interest at heart. I haven't met one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good agent can be hard to find. I am glad you have found success as an author without an agent.

      Delete